Thursday, February 13, 2014

WebPost4

What is institutional racism?
Institutional racism is a pattern of social institutions (such as governmental organizations, schools, banks, and courts of law) giving negative treatment to a group of people based on their race.

Growing up, I attended a public school for elementary, middle, and high school. My schools were not very diverse at all. Throughout my years at public school I would say that 90% of the children were white. I was never really exposed to racism or anything like that. However, now that I am being more and more exposed to it as I grow up and enter the real world I am realizing that it is a pretty big issue. 
My views on institutional racism are very strong. I think it's absolutely ridiculous for someone to be judged by the color of their skin, their ethnicity, or their background. Racism exists and we have to face that. We probably couldn't wipe racism off the earth no matter how hard we tried but we can still be against it. The more people against institutional racism the better. School is supposed to be a second home. somewhere to feel welcome and comfortable. Not a place to feel unwanted. Hopefully over time the issue will get better but until then all we can do is spread the word and hope things get better. 

Martin Luther King "I have a dream" quote - Transracial adoption - or just for living in this world.  Racism is a cruel thing, don't judge people  not by their color of skin or stereotypical race. Base it on their character.

No comments:

Post a Comment