Sunday, February 23, 2014

WebPost6

Reflection on the reading of "The Banking Concept of Education" by Paul Freire

The banking concept of education basically states that "the teacher talks about reality as if it were motionless, static, compartmentalized, and predictable. Or else he expounds on a topic completely alien to the existential experience of the students. His task is to "fill" the students with the contents of his narration- contents which are detached from reality, disconnected from the totality that engendered them and could give them significance. Words are emptied of their concreteness and become a hollow, alienated, and alienating verbosity" (Friere).
My thoughts on this were that this couldn't be more true. This concept pertains to a lot of teachers that I have come in contact with throughout my experience as a student. I think I would have remembered a lot more of what I had learned in high school, and even middle school, if I had not been taught the way I was. I was taught to memorize instead of being taught to understand.

"Education must begin with the solution of the teacher-student contradiction, by reconciling the poles of the contradiction so that both are simultaneously teachers and students" (Friere).
I think that the best teachers are the ones who learn new things from their students and let them be the teacher as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment